Saturday, January 8, 2011

Lessons from Fast Food

Hello all! Over the next couple weeks, in addition to regular posts (I hope, anyway!) I'll be doing some reflecting. I've spent almost two years at a fast food restaurant, with about half of that being in management, and I think its time to look back at the lessons it's taught me.

It seems appropriate to do some looking back at the beginning of the year anyway, but I'm also reflecting because I am moving on. I was recently hired for an internship at a non-profit in Washington DC, so for the time being, both my fast food and management days are over! (Though I do want to manage in the future).

The main reason I'm doing this is because fast food is an extremely difficult environment to manage. Office jobs, while having their share of quirky people, just don't compare to the challenges of managing former felons, people with mental issues and 17 year olds, almost all of whom make minimum wage, in an extremely stressful and deadline-oriented environment.

Sure, there are probably aspects of food management that are easier, I just can't think of any of them right now.

So I'll be sharing my hard-earned wisdom with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment