Monday, January 10, 2011

Shame on Susan G. Komen For the Cure!!!

I knew I didn't like them...

Ok, for a long time I had a completely unwarranted grudge against Susan G. Komen For the Cure. I'd read something about pinkwashing (Like greenwashing, only instead of products that are only marginally better for the environment, it's pink cookware that donates a fraction of a percent of net profits to breast cancer research), and I've long had an attitude that "raising awareness" isn't really doing much of anything useful in most cases.

But I finally looked them up a few months ago, and found out that they were generally pretty good, putting money into good research, well managed, etc. And I let go of the hate.

Until I watched The Colbert Report the other day.

It turns out that Susan G. Komen thinks that they should have a monopoly on the term "For the Cure." As in, nothing can be "For the Cure" unless it benefits breast cancer research. Actually, even that's not good enough. It has to benefit Susan G. Komen.

They feel strongly about this, so they use donor funds to sue other charities that use the phrase "For the Cure" in any of their events or drives.

....

That's really just about the douchiest move ever by a charity that's not just straight embezzling money for orphans and spending it in lesbian bondage clubs. I don't think I really need to say anything else.

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap! As if lawyers need charity money. Good to know. I've actually stopped noticing breast cancer merchandise since there's so much of it plastered everywhere... and given the choice I will purposely NOT buy the pink version. It's gotten a little out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes theyre total jerks they also give money to planed parenthood which supports abortions

    ReplyDelete